Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12th - Do you have this book?

Today we read September 12th.  As we sat down to read this book, we checked and double checked our calendar to see that our book's title was the same as today's date.  Before we read this book we talked about what yesterday was (September 11th) and I let students talk about what they knew, saw on T.V. and what their parents had told them.
After our discussion, we read this book that was written by other first graders in Kennett, Missouri.  My students LOVED that this book was written and illustrated by first graders AND first graders that are in the same state as us.  At the end of the book it shows pictures of all the first graders that wrote this book.  I had to read all of their names per the request of my kiddos.  We also talked about how that these first graders that wrote this book are now Juniors in high school.  Our discussion was so precious.  We talked about heroes and what it meant to be a hero.  Even after talking about all the horrible things that happened on September 11th, this book really ended our discussion on a positive note.  I loved seeing the wonder, sincerity and innocence in the eyes of my students.  Did you discuss the tragedy of 9-11 with your little ones?   If so, I would love to hear about it. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great book! I can't wait to order it. Our school had Red, White, and Blue day on Friday. I read the book, "Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey." It tells about September 11 through the fireboat. This book has become one of my all time favorites.

    Thank you for the new book suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...