Saturday, January 21, 2012

Shoveling Snow and Scooping Up Nouns

I found the cutest shovel pattern and knew I had to use it for something.  We have been talking about nouns, adjectives and verbs... but decided to focus on nouns with this activity.  After talking about nouns and finding them in a shared reading I gave each of my students a pile of sticky notes and instructed them to look through a book that they were reading from their book box and search for nouns.  When they found one, they were to write it down on their sticky note.  They could find as many as they wanted but our magic number was ten.  They were very engaged during this process and amazingly all of them found 10 nouns or more.  I showed them my shovel and told them they were going to make a shovel (their color choice) and write all their nouns on it.  I checked each child's sticky notes before they could use a sharpie marker (they LOVED this) to write their nouns. Here is a picture of a couple of the shovels.


We used cotton balls in the corner for the snow.  We first used white crayon but ended up using cotton for an added touch! What I love about these shovels is you can see the differentiation as many of the nouns varied by the independent book they were reading.  I bet if you looked closely you could even guess the book or type of book they were reading.  




I would love to share the shovel pattern with you, but unfortunately it was just a few pieces of paper I found in one of my files I picked up somewhere from long ago.  My scanner is broken here at home, but I will try to scan it in at school if possible later this week if you are interested.  Here is how our wall turned out with all of our shovels. Our title is:  "We've got the SCOOP on Nouns!"  


Hope your day is a great one!

UPDATE:  Here are the scanned pages you can download.  I'm sorry about the quality.  I have no idea where I originally got these from so if anyone knows the origin or the creator... let me know! :)  Click on the images to download the patterns.




Hope you find some use for these! :)

14 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Those turned out really cute! I don't think my Firsties have EVER shoveled snow here in Texas but we might just have to make them anyways! =)

    They do LOVE it when we use sticky notes!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "We've Got The Scoop On Nouns" bulletin board! The shovels are adorable :) Thanks for sharing!

    Lisa :) (new follower)
    Made In The Shade In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! This will make a great review for nouns!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this would fly in California, but it sure is CUTE!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! My class would love this! They get so excited over anything to do with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Claire
    www.firstgradesmarties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. how cure! we use sticky notes ALL the time too..but I like your shovel idea :) though, maybe we'd make it a beach shovel...oh wait, most of my kids have never been to the beach even though we live 20 minutes from it...harrumph :-/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so cute! :) If my students really knew about snow and shoveling it then we could use those but I think we'll have to use these as beach shovels in the summertime! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! And unlike everyone else... my kids definitely understand snow shoveling, haha!!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! I'm your newest follower...I'm excited to be here :)

    Color Me Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  11. So Cute. I might just have to do this with linking verbs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, love this! :) We are doing nouns right now and I'd love if you could share the template! :)
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the template! Perfect! Enjoy the rest of the day of rest!

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute!! Thanks for this freebie!

    I'm having a giveaway over at my blog right now. I'd love it if you would come check it out!

    Amy
    Krazy About Kiddos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...