Sunday, January 29, 2012

Gung Hay Fat Choy and a Freebie!

Last week we celebrated Chinese New Year.  Since it was the year of the dragon, we made "Dragon Lanterns" to hang in our classroom.  The kids colored a dragon pattern, glued it to red construction paper and then wrote their name in chinese... or at least tried. Here is a picture of my example that my daughter made it for me.  She is in 3rd grade.



I went to a website that allowed me to type in my students name and then it gave me their name written in chinese.  I saved the pictures to a file, printed and cut each one out to give to my students.  They LOVED seeing their names in chinese.  I had a couple different names in my classroom that could not be found, so I used their middle names instead.  They still loved them.  Here is a picture of my name in chinese and what the cards look like.


I also made some chinese fortune cookies for my students - NOT real ones, but ones made from cupcake liners.  I saw the idea on pinterest and thought they were cute.  Here are how mine turned out.


I made up my fortune strips to go inside them.  I made these REALLY late at night, so my creativity was not flowing very well.  I ended up doubling up on the sayings to make 22.  Here is a copy of the strips if you are interested.  Click on the image to download.


I also created a few graphic organizers and some writing paper to write facts about Chinese New Year.  Here is the freebie if you are interested.


We had a LOT of fun learning about Chinese New Year and what animal zodiac sign we are.  Hope you had as much fun!  Oh and I updated my post on the Snow Shovels and Scooping Up Nouns.  Scroll to the bottom and I have uploaded the patterns if you are interested.  Have a great Sunday!

5 comments:

  1. Love the name generator. I didn't get time to do a Chinese New Year unit this year, but seeing your stuff now makes me wish I had.


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this!! I have to bookmark it for next year! =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! Thank you for sharing. Tucked away for next year.

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only thing about that website for writing names in Chinese, is that it doesn't have all names - especially students who are East Indian :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nicole, thank you for sharing this wonderful idea. Could you further guide me unto which website you were using? Does it comes with the pretty background label too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...