Monday, April 25, 2011

SUPER SCIENTIST

I want to share with you one of my FAVORITE things in First Grade.  After January, our first grade class begins a Super Scientist Experiment each week.  First, I MUST say this is NOT my original idea.  One of my teacher buddies has done this with her first graders for a couple of years.  I believe she got the idea from Mrs. Meacham's site

Here is what we do... a student is chosen to be the Super Scientist and is sent home with a Science Experiment book, a Super Scientist Journal that includes a Lab Report and Pictures of past experiments and a letter to the parents explaining the procedure.  Here is the book I send home with my students:

Students usually choose an experiment to do from this book, however they do not have to.  They may come up with an experiment on their own if they choose.  This book has AWESOME color photos and ranges from very simple to more difficult science experiments.  It also uses items that you can usually find around the house.  

Once students have chosen their experiment they must fill out a LAB REPORT.  I have included a picture of one below.
CLICK HERE to get yours!
Then students prepare all of their materials for the big day and bring them to school on their scheduled day to share their experiment.  Students can't wait to wear the lab coat and safety goggles.  I have to document everything and arrange the pictures in a word document.  I then print two copies.  One for our Super Scientist Journal and one for the student. 

So that other first graders get a chance to see a variety of experiments, our first grade classes SKYPE with each other.  Since we have document cameras that can be used as web cams, we create free accounts and can see into each others classroom via our projectors and smartboards.  Students can then ask questions about the experiment and the Super Scientist is actually being interviewed by the other students.  It is amazing at the answers these first graders give.  It shows just how much they understand!

The students then complete a JOURNAL PAGE about the experiment and it is compiled into a book for the Super Scientist of the week along with their pictures.  Here is the journal page:
 CLICK HERE for the journal page!

I would like to share the lab picture page I create of a student after their experiment.  Here is what the page looks like without the smiley faces ~ privacy.



 Notice the microphone in the last picture on the table.  This allows the student to talk to the other class that is watching via SKYPE.  I am also sharing the Super Scientist Journal Cover (that contains all the lab reports and pictures for our class), and the Parent Letter that is sent home with the Science Book and Journal.

CLICK HERE for a copy!

Here is the Parent Letter.... Addressed to the next Super Scientist!
CLICK HERE for your copy!

I will try to post some pictures of the actual journal I send home with the students and some of the completed lab reports.  I would love to hear about your favorite things in first grade or if you do anything similar for science! 

2 comments:

  1. I am a new follower! I LOVE your super scientist idea!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog today! I love the idea of a super scientist. Thanks for sharing!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...